Family School Liaison Program
Family School Liaison Program
Working together to meet the social and emotional needs of children and youth
The Family School Liaison Program is a free-of-charge, client-based, goal-focused program provided through local municipalities. This program is also supported by Aspen View Public Schools and Alberta Health Services ‑ Mental Health.
The program is designed to meet the social and emotional needs of children and youth who are experiencing difficulties. It provides support, encouragement and ideas in a non-judgmental, confidential manner.
The program is preventative and involvement is voluntary and intended to be short-term.
The Family School Liaison Worker will work with your child to:
- Provide regular sessions with the child or youth to help him/her succeed in achieving the goals that have been set.
- Liaison with the families and school staff to further support the child or youth.
- Facilitate specialized small groups of students with similar goals.
- Provide resources and information to children, youth, families, and/or school staff.
** Some requests for services may not be suitable for the Family School Liaison Program. In such cases, a referral to other services and/or resources will be made. **
Individual goals may focus on:
- Emotional Concerns: self-esteem, self-control, managing emotions, grief and loss, stress, changes, coping skills, etc.
- Social Concerns: problem solving, social skills, communication, relationships with friends/peers, etc.
- Family Concerns: divorce or separation, parent-child conflict, sibling conflict, etc.
- School Based Concerns: transition to a new school, relationships with others, some classroom issues, etc.
The goal of this program is to encourage individual growth and development for personal well-being.
How can services be accessed?
Children, youth, parents/guardians, school staff, or community members can contact a worker directly through Family and Community Support Services or through school counsellors or administrators.
Within Athabasca County, the Family School Liaison Program is by provided by Athabasca County Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) through Aspen View Public Schools at:
- Whispering Hills Primary School
- Landing Trail Intermediate School
- Edwin Parr Composite School
- The Centre for Alternative & Virtual Education (The CAVE)
- Boyle School
- Grassland School
- Rochester School
To access the Athabasca County Family School Liaison Program, please contact:
Athabasca County FCSS Program
3598 48 Ave.
Athabasca, AB T9S 1T9
Within Thorhild County, the Family School Liaison Program is offered by Thorhild County through Aspen View Public Schools at:
- Thorhild Central School
To access the Thorhild County Family School Liaison Program, please contact:
Family School Liaison
Smoky Lake County
Within Smoky Lake County, the Family School Liaison Program is offered through Aspen View Public Schools at:
- H.A. Kostash School
- Vilna School
To access the Smoky Lake County Family School Liaison Program, please contact:
Smoky Lake County Family School Liaison Worker
M.D. of Lesser Slave River
Within the Municipal District of Lesser Slave River, the Family School Liaison Program is offered through Aspen View Public Schools at:
- Smith School
To access the Smith School Family School Liaison Program, please contact:
Smith School Family School Liaison Worker