- Would you like to attend college while still in high school?
- Are you interested in maintaining and repairing equipment?
- Did you graduate from high school last year, but are unsure of the next steps in your academic career and are considering returning for a 4th year of high school?
If you have said yes to any of the above questions, then the Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician dual credit program would be perfect for you!
Aspen View Public Schools has partnered with Portage College to offer a Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician (HET) dual credit program to high school students. The Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician dual credit program will introduce students to electronics, hydraulics, brake systems, air brakes, safety and more.
Dual credit programs allow high school students to take college courses and earn both high school and post-secondary credits at the same time. Pre-employment programs give students the foundation to enter the workforce and become an apprentice. Pre-employment programs are geared toward students interested in a trade who don't yet have knowledge or training in a field. The program offers all the same course materials as the apprenticeship program, but with additional hands-on skills and safety training.
Heavy Equipment Technicians repair and overhaul engines, mechanical and powershift transmissions, hydraulics, and basic electrical systems on equipment. Heavy Equipment Technicians are typically employed by specialized repair shops or companies that own or lease heavy equipment used in construction, forestry, agriculture, mining, materials hauling and transportation industries. Experienced journeymen may find opportunities to advance into supervisor or service manager positions. Students will receive theory and hands-on training using current hydraulic, air brakes and electrical training aids.
What are the Benefits of this Dual Credit Program?
- Upon successful completion of the Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician dual credit program, students will receive 16 - 20 high school credits, a post-secondary Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician Certificate and will be eligible to write the first-year apprenticeship exam for the trade.
- The Pre-Employment Heavy Equipment Technician dual credit program provides a significant savings for students and parent as the tuition fees are covered by Aspen View Public School Division from CEU generated funds.
- Dual credit programs help to prepare high school students for a post-secondary environment and eases the transition from high school to college.
- Time and money invested in education at a post-secondary level can be significant for exposure to courses earlier on can assist in determining if a specific career is the right choice for a student.
- Runs February 21, 2017 – June 2, 2017
- Admission Requirements:
- Recommended: English 30-2, Math 30-3, Physics 30 or Chemistry 30 or Science 30
- Minimum: English 20-2, Math 20-3, Science 10 or Trades Entrance Exam
- Asynchronous online classes (a journeyman instructor will place recorded presentations, demonstrations or lectures onto a Moodle site which students access at a time that works within their schedule from home or from school)
- The program is 16 weeks in length and is conveniently offered through a blended method; 12 weeks of theory online followed by a 1 week review and then the final 4 weeks of face-to-face practical training in the HET shop at Portage College in Lac La Biche.
- Course tuition and the learning resource fee will be covered by Aspen View Public Schools.
- Students are responsible for the costs of class supplies (such as pens, binder, calculator) and shop supplies (such as welding goggles, welding gloves, steel toed tools, safety glasses). Students should expect to pay approximately $350 - $375 in total for all supplies.
- Students are responsible for the costs incurred during the 4 weeks of face-to-face practical training at Portage College in Lac La Biche.
How Do I Apply?