2017-18 School Year Calendar Approved
At their February 9, 2017 meeting, the Board of Trustees of Aspen View Public Schools approved the 2017-18 School Year Calendar.
The approved calendar incorporates feedback received from parents, staff, school councils and other stakeholders in response to two draft calendars circulated in early January.
Key components of the 2017-18 School Year Calendar include:
- The first day of school for students will be Wednesday, August 30, 2017. Trustees noted that while a significant number of parents expressed a preference for a post-Labour Day start-up, to do so would require removing the November break, or removing School PD/Staff Work Days and returning to early dismissal for staff meeting purposes. A majority of staff respondents expressed a preference for maintaining the November break.
- The November break will be from November 13-17, 2017. This is one week later than was proposed in the draft calendars, based on stakeholder feedback.
- The Christmas break begins after Friday, December 22, 2017. Classes resume on Monday, January 8, 2018. This aligns with approved school year calendars for most neighbouring school divisions.
- The Teachers Convention/Family Day break begins on Thursday, February 15, 2018. Classes resume on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
- The spring break begins with a School PD/Staff Work Day on Friday, March 23, 2018, with classes resuming after Easter, on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. Again, this aligns with the approved school year calendars for most neighbouring school divisions.
- The last day of school for students is Thursday, June 28, 2018.