Great Beginnings is a play-based early learning opportunity for children 3-5 years old, offered at:
H.A. Kostash School
Thorhild Central School
Early Learning Teams provide a supportive and enriching environment that fosters each child’s social-emotional, cognitive, language and physical development as per the Flight Framework developed by Alberta Education for pre-school programs.
The underlying philosophy of Great Beginnings is that children learn through play, and our goal is to provide a variety of play experiences, supporting each child’s progress at his or her own pace.
Knowing that all children have strengths, we promote the positive accomplishments each child makes as a Mighty Learner. Children are encouraged to explore, discover and interact. Skills are developed in a non-prescriptive way to ensure that the child’s needs are being met in ways that are developmentally appropriate.
The program is implemented on a daily basis by qualified Early Childhood Development professionals or instructors and supported by professionals in the areas of speech/language, occupational and behavioural therapy, as required. Program oversight is provided by a certified Early Childhood Teacher.
• Children between the ages of 3 and 5
• All children attending the program are screened to determine developmental needs such as:
- Speech and Language
- Fine and/or Gross Motor Development
Hours of Instruction
• Schedules vary from school to school, but are typically 2-3 half-days per week.
• Parents have the option of enrolling their child on as many days as they would like.
• We encourage Program Unit Funding (PUF) and Mild Moderate (MM) students to attend daily, if possible.
• Fees for the 2019-20 School Year have been set at $12 per registered session.
• Some students may be eligible for Alberta Education funding based on development assessment.
- A child care subsidy application can be made to Alberta Human Services. Please use Internet Explorer when accessing this link: https://www.alberta.ca/child-care-subsidy.aspx
• Payment arrangements can be made with the school office.
How to Register Your Child
• Pick up a registration form from the school office or download here.
• Contact the school principal if you have questions or require assistance.
• Completed forms can be submitted to the school office.